Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle is one of my all time favorite children's story.  Not only does it introduce the life cycle of a caterpillar, but it also helps with sequencing, which is a very important skill for preschoolers to learn.
 To make the book come alive I used an empty Parmesan container, and made it into a caterpillar. The students love the hands-on addition to the story. I also found a template online for the different fruits that the caterpillar consumes. As I read the story the caterpillar comes alive and eats the food. I give each student a chance to feed the caterpillar. I also used a paper bag for the chrysalis and made a butterfly that stays in the bag until the end of the story. At the end of the story I put the caterpillar in the bag( chrysalis), and pull out the butterfly. Below are the directions on how to make the caterpillar. 

 
 

 
  • 1 empty parmesan  container
  • 2 wiggle eyes ( can be purchased at most craft stores)
  • 1 piece of green construction paper
  • Template of the caterpillar food-http://www.dltk-teach.com/books/hungrycaterpillar/
  • 1 brown paper sack  
  • 1 paper butterfly

No comments:

Post a Comment